Friday, November 20, 2009

More or the same amount of forest in the U.S. since 1920. According to the U.N.

Awhile back I blogged about a video called the, "Story of Stuff". This off the wall piece of political propaganda is being played for students in some parts of the country. Oh those poor innocent children being forced to watch that crap.
I was able to put this video out of my mind, but it ticks me off that people want to come after children. Let's have a political discussion, but stay the hell away from my kids. Regardless, if I agree with you politically or not, history has shown the damage and evils that can result from propaganda.
A friend text me one morning stating that he's concerned that we are going to run out of forest in the next couple of years, since we are down to only 4%. Huh? And this sounds like a stat from the crappy video I just mentioned. I'll be the first to jump on board to any worthwhile endeavor, but is it the truth? Truth seems to be getting lost and from my vantage point and the truth is more of an inconvenience for too many these days. How do we teach our kids truth when we ourselves ignore it? Lord knows that I have let truth slip out of my life and I learned from that mistake. The freedom of the truth is a vital liberty we can and must teach our kids with so many other freedoms eroding in this world.

So truth it is. We have roughly the same amount, if not more, forest in the U.S. as 100 years ago. Very impressive considering how our population has grown with an increased demand on wood products.
According to the U.N.:
About 33 percent of the United States (302 million hectares -- 747 million acres) is forested. Forest types vary from sparse scrub forests of the arid, interior west to the highly productive forests of the Pacific Coast and the South, and from pure hardwood forests to multi-species mixtures, and coniferous forests.
read full summary at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/x4995e.htm


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind!