Monday, August 9, 2010

Help is on the way for out of control College costs.

One benefit of repetitiveness is your minds ability to adjust and in many cases simply tune out the issue at hand.  The topic of thought for this statement is the number of times recently that I have had conversations with recent higher education graduates that have been unable to find employment.  For the lucky few who actually found a job, their new found employment is purely entry level.  One girl recently commented in utter frustration that at her current rate of pay and the mountain of student loans she acquired she will either need to win the lottery or pay off the debt in 74 years.  Ouch.

These conversations got me pondering the number of people I have hired in various positions over the years and their levels of education.  Every time my sympathy starts to build for these young adults facing the world chained to crushing student loans a thought creeps in.  What did they get for all that money/debt?  What did I get get for all my classes?  Off the top of my head I can't say that anything that I was taught in college has helped me in the working world.  Granted, for any of you who read my blog know that I should have taken writing and grammar courses.  At least I'm not in debt and I make more money than almost any CEO I know.

This morning an article caught my eye on the looming college tuition bubble and the notable underlying tone of the piece.  A couple of questions I think parents and students should be asking before condemning children to the financial slavery of student loans.  Do you want to go to College? What are you going to college for?  Will this degree help you accomplish it?  Can you learn or acquire the skills sought without going to college?  How much money, both high and low, will you earn in your career field after college versus the volume of debt incurred?  And many many more questions.

Will the tuition bubble burst?

Read full story:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/Sunday_Reflections/Glenn-Harlan-Reynolds-Further-thoughts-on-the-college-tuition-bubble-100216064.html


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind!