Monday, May 17, 2010

Life Coach vs. Parenting

I'm slow to put together my view points and this past weekend was no exception as I was mulling over a recent inspirational video I viewed at the end of last week.  The question popped in my head as to what is better a life coach or a parent?  What's the difference is actually a better question and I was really unable to separate the two.  One area that does come to mind is that sometimes I see and fall into supper corrective mode with children.  Luckily nobody to my knowledge has created a superhero comic book character called, "Captain Correcto".  Correction is not necessarily a bad thing, but only as long as your giving kids the freedom to make mistakes in the first place.  The problem with Captain Correcto is that constant correction begins to sound like your telling your kids they are unable to do anything correctly.  Pretty soon they will start to believe you and begin to do everything incorrect, assuming you will either correct them or that they are incapable of correctly accomplishing anything on their own.  This brings me back to being a life coach and that I see many of the same basic life coach principles applying to parenting.

Basic Life Coach Principles:
1) Set Goals, Reality of past/today/future, Options, Way Forward
2) Reality Conversations
3) Solution Focus; developing ability to change and adapt
4) Thinking, Language, and behaviour.  (develop ability to manage thoughts and emotions)

This list above really applies to parenting, but how many of us can successfully understand and implement the above steps.  Which brings me to life coaches can be also known as parenting coaches.  Just as us Parents are in fact Life Coaches.  Kids are a reflection of ourselves and God does not make garbage.  If your kids are struggling with some area of their lives, then perhaps us parents should take a harder look at ourselves first. (That's and example of the Reality Conversation)
Have you ever listened to a life coach?  Why not?  What's the worst that could happen? 

Some famous life coaches quotes:

Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more. -Tony Robbins

God didn't make a mistake when He made you. You need to see yourself as God sees you. -Joel Osteen

Every obnoxious act is a cry for help. -Zig Ziglar

An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. -Gandhi

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.- Jesus

Being a parent is the ultimate "Life Coach" and we can always do and get better in all that we do.  I know how to parent and I'm not about to take a parenting class, but can I get better at living life and being a life coach to my children?  You bet.

Video I watched last week:
http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind!