Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm a single working mom?

I hear often both directly out in public and on news cast and various tv shows, "I'm a single working mom".  Given I rarely, if ever, run into a single father introducing or announcing himself to the world as, "I'm a single working dad", makes me wonder why woman make this statement.  Is it to gain sympathy?  Is it a badge of honor of some sort?  Is their a presumption that moms do not hold jobs outside the home?  I know the last to not be true and for the life of me I can't figure out where this statement is coming from.  The informal conversations that I have had with single moms on this topic have all led to another common statement, "I don't ever state I'm a single working mom". 
I'm just confused.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind!